Monday, September 3, 2007

New Horse Hunting

Well a lesson to be learned for all: when your are new horse hunting be VERY specific for what you are looking for. I saw an ad for a Draft-cross, not started, 3 years old, reasonable priced. Her picture looked exactly what I was looking for, a potential dressage- hunter/jumper type, nicely colored.

What I found was a 7/8 pure draft, nothing that could ever go over a jump, very short strides, never being able to do any type of dressage, nice enough mare, very kind eye and easy to handle. but to be a potentials dressage mount???...NEVER! Any I was very clear in what I was looking for.

Thankfully I only spent 5 hours driving round trip to see this mare. Lesson learned, be very clear what you want the horse for and ask for more than one picture, from different angles, to be sure to save yourself a journey which never needs to be taken.

No comments: