Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Kittens Are Here and They Need Names!

This morning after my ride I went to pick out my new barn kittens. There were five to choose from, 4 blacks and 1 calico. I really wanted females as from what I have researched about cats; both big and small, the better hunters are the females. Well I knew the chances of the calico being a female were pretty good as only 1 in 3000 calico's are male and then he is usually sterile. So that choice was easy. The next was a bit harder. The four black kittens were pretty identical except for some minor white spots on their bellies. These kittens were also raised on a farm with 2 cows, 4 pigs, assorted chickens and goats. They were born outside and raised outside, yet handled daily as there is also a preschool on the property where the kittens have been handled by people and children daily. The kittens also had names, they were named by the children who attended the school. The female calico kitten was "Patches", and then I asked the son of the owner of the property about the rest of the black kittens. He told me we had "The Twins", "M&M," and "Garfield". The twins were solid black and not as friendly as the other two blacks, Garfield was almost solid black with a small white spot on his belly, and M&M had 2 small white marks on his belly. I took home "Garfield" and "Patches". Patches is very friendly, purrs like crazy when held or petted. Garfield is not as friendly as her, but I think he will come around. Neither looks like their names, so I think we need to come up with new names for them! Any ideas???

No comments: